Advertisement

Zen Shiatsu in Japan

topic posted Thu, January 6, 2005 - 4:05 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Has anyone studied Shiatsu in Japan (in English)? Does anyone know if its possible? I've searched the internet with no luck. There are a thousand Thai massage schools for westerners in Thailand, but no Shiatsu schools (that I can find) in Japan. What's up with that?

I would like to take this back to its source, someday somewhere, and just wondering if anyone else has/wants to do the same?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Fin
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Zen Shiatsu in Japan

Thu, February 24, 2005 - 12:08 AM
    Hey Mate,
    Um, actually, I am studying Shiatsu currently in Kyoto, Japan. My masters name is Nobutaka Kishi and he is absolutely amazing. He does not have his own website but if you want more information, just respond back. Honestly, the best way to find shiatsu pracitioners in Japan is to go to Japan.

Hope to hear from ya,
    Rachel

Wed, March 2, 2005 - 6:53 AM
      Hi

I'm going to be spending a few days in Japan soon, in particular Kyoto. It would be great to get a shiatsu while I'm there - I've been thinking of furthering my shiatsu studies in Japan for while now.

How long have you been studying in Kyoto?

Fynn

Mon, March 7, 2005 - 10:52 PM
        I have been studying Shiatsu in Japan since October. I am a student at the Friends World Program of Long Island University. www.southampton.liu.edu/fw/ . Are you in Kyoto now? how long will you be in Kyoto and what part will you be in? It is such a beautiful day today, your coming at an excellent time, right before cherry blossom season. Currently we have shiatsu sessions at my apartment because it is most convenient, but as the weather improves, our spot will move to Gosho, a huge park and central attraction here in Kyoto. We have formal instruction once a week. Nobutaka Kishi, a native Japananese, teaches Zen Shiatsu, so we use knees and elbows along with the hands to apply pressure to points on the body and meridians and qi are emphasized as well. Our next meet is this Friday at 4p.m. March 11, 2005. If you would like to join us, please email me through Tribe.net. and I would be more than happy to meet with you and introduce you to the group.

Rachel

Mon, March 21, 2005 - 3:02 AM
          Hi Rachel,

I emailed you - I think! lol

Just a quick message as i'm between flights in Singapore right now. My partner and I are flying out to Tokyo shortly, then travelling on to Kyoto on Wednesday. We don't have any concrete plans yet as to where we're staying (i'm such a typical libran!), but it would be great if we could manage to hook up - i'm nearly 3 months pregnant right now and shiatsu would be *fantastic*.
          :-D

Fynn

Sun, September 25, 2005 - 4:15 AM
      Hi Rachel

I hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread, but I'm also living in Japan and would like to take shiatsu lessons. I have studied a bit in Australia. At the moment I'm living out of Kyoto but visit about twice a month.

How can I contact Kishi san? Perhaps he might know of some other teachers closer to my town.

Jenny

Thu, September 6, 2012 - 9:46 AM
      Hi Rachel,
      I read your text that you know some master of Shiatsu in Kyoto. Can you give me more information about him and studing?

Thank you,
      Martina

Sat, May 18, 2013 - 12:25 PM
      Hi,
      Can you send me Nobutaka Kishi contact information by chance? I am interested in studying Shiatsu during my time in Japan. Were you able to obtain a cultural activities visa for an extended stay in Kyoto after you had already gotten to Japan?

Thank you
      dlynperkins@gmail.com
  • Tim
    Tim
    offline 7

Re: Zen Shiatsu in Japan

Sun, March 5, 2006 - 3:32 PM
    Iokai Shiatsu Center , Tokyo , Japan

birthplace of Zen Shiatsu

Shizuto Masanaga Sensei (now deceased)

his wife still has a hand in its daily operation

They feature a 2 week summer program for foreigners

read article in AOBTA Pulse mag from last Summer

Shiatsu is a profession in Japan

3 years of intensive college like study

you must speak japanese to pass the professional course

Government approves Shiatsu therapists through ministry of helath.

It is rare for foreigners ( especially Americans ) to have this much drive and survive !

Good Luck

Tim Holt

Sat, April 7, 2007 - 4:42 AM
      Hi Rachel

I used to live in Osaka and will be returning to the Kansai area at the end of May (or there abouts). I'm very interested to find out more about shiatsu courses- will you be around Kyoto for a while longer? It would be great to meet up if you have the time and find out about your course.

sukoshi nihogo dekimasu... :)

Jade

Sun, May 31, 2009 - 1:58 PM
    What's up??? I would love to study Zen Shiatsu in Japan with a true master, especially in a place as beautiful as Kyoto...Anything that you could tell me about this would be appreciated...
    I would book my ticket today!!

Mon, January 11, 2010 - 11:36 AM
    Hi To answer your question.

Actually th eonly placein Japan which worthed to study Shiatrsu is at the Japan Shiatsu College in Tokyo.
    only college specializing in the official shiatsu of Japan.
    Also where masunaga graduated from in the 1960's.

for more information please visit www.shiatsucenter,fi

Recent topics in "Shiatsu"